The chief feature of the Bullet is simplicity. With NO TRIMMERS, NO heavy hardware or complications on the risers, and NO excess features, the Bullet is just simply fun and fast.
- No Trimmers means that setting up and launching the Bullet is easier, with less of a chance of launching with tangled lines, which is a major concern in this sport.
- The brake range is so vast that trimmers are not necessary: at hands-up trim, the Bullet is fast enough! If you want to slow down or increase your glide, simply add brake. Adding brake makes all necessary adjustments to speed and glide.
- Easy launch. This is imperative for new speed-flyers, and the sometimes difficult launching conditions that can be experienced in the mountains (tailwind, crosswind, etc). To achieve this, we have a simple cell structure with lines to every cell to promote even and progressive inflation in all reasonable conditions.
- Relatively slow speed take-off. The reason we feel this is important is that it is obviously dangerous to be hurtling downhill at high speed with a non-flying wing. We chose a profile that has high lift, allowing early take-off and excellent slower speed performance.
- In flight stability. After testing several other Speed-Flying wings, one major factor that we felt detrimental to the confidence of the pilot was very low sail tension which resulted in a total lack of in-flight solidity. The line configuration and sail tension of the Bullet help reduce in-flight glider movement to a minimum.
- Handling. Speed-flying wings have very high wing-loading and therefore the handling must be smooth and progressive, with a long brake range to help prevent pilots from over-controlling the wing. The Bullet’s turn is smooth and stable, without excessive dive.
- Performance. In Speed-Flying, the traditional definitions of performance do not apply. The performance of the Bullet is ideal for its application: Reasonable trim speed (45-70km/h depending on wing-loading) and a glide angle of approximately 3.5, again depending on wing-loading. Under no circumstances do we feel the need to push the limits of speed and glide performance at this stage of the sport. Safety and usability should always come first.
- Landing. The Bullet has excellent flare and landing characteristics. Again, the high lift profile and moderate sail tension allows the wing to be slowed down easily for soft, slow speed landings, which is a very important factor in this new sport.
- Durability. Ozone has been conducting research with fabrics and materials in the snow sports industry for 6 years (Snowkiting), which has lead to the development of the OzTech material. This cloth has been tested from the Polar ice-caps to the Sahara desert and we are very confident that it is the best material possible for Speed-Flying.
The Bullet Snow Stake System
The Bullet has two sewn loops on the top sail, and comes with small plastic stakes that can be attached to the top of the wing. These ‘Snow Stakes’ are very useful for laying your wign out on steep snow or in tail-wind launch conditions.
To use the snow stakes, simply push them into the snow surface a few centimeters. You may leave the snow stakes in the snow and launch normally, the snow stakes will pull out and will not affect the flying characteristics of your wing.
The Atak Harness
The Atak Harness was developed specifically for speed-flying with the help of Pierre Bouiloux of SupAir. Compact, strong, and stable, the Atak harness is adjustable to be very upright for skiing, or more reclined for pilots who are more comfortable in a more typical ‘flying’ position.
Anti-friction rings on the shoulder straps allow transition from standing to sitting positions quickly and easily. The harness naturally positions the pilot in a skiing stance, so that you are never caught off-balance while speedflying.
When you transition from standing to sitting, you will be completely ‘in’ the harness, not hanging out of it. The leg straps automatically scoop you into the harness, with no struggle to sit comfortably. This also makes the harness ideal for tandem flying and dune soaring as well.